Team: Business Development
Line Manager: CEO
Role type: Permanent
The role in brief
The Business Development Manager at Agency Inc directly supports the CEO with the implementation of the new business strategy to develop a robust new business pipeline. They will have primary ownership and control over securing new client work and revenue. They will play a key role in managing the agency’s response to newly won briefs (RFIs, RFPS, Invitations to Pitch/Tender). And they will develop knowledge about trends in the industry, plus a deep understanding of the agency’s products and services.
They will often initiate contacts and make connections on behalf of the agency leadership team. They will manage third parties such as lead generation agencies, as well as maintaining relationships with client-agency intermediaries and brokers. They may represent the agency at some chemistry meetings and give a view on who to assign to a pitch. They are capable of writing case studies and award papers, also updating credentials, overseen by the senior leadership team. They will lead, and further develop, a business development culture throughout the agency with defined targets and KPIs.
- Working with agency leadership on a business growth strategy to include organic and new business targets, ways to meet leads, conferences to attend and speak at etc.
- Supporting the senior team with data and insights into sectors, and helping them prioritise
- Being aware of what is going on in the industry, sharing insights from e.g., the marketing press, trends etc.
- Keeping good relations with new business intermediaries
- Contacting prospects to secure meetings for both yourself and other senior people
- Managing the responses to inbound enquiries, and to enquiries generated through targeted outbound activity managed by a lead generation partner, with the same objective of securing introductory meetings
- Developing and maintaining mutually beneficial partnerships with third parties (including suppliers and agencies) to enable leads and referrals to be shared, and to ensure an agreed commercial basis to incentivise the process
- Managing the process of staying in touch with prospects via regular correspondence using the agency’s CRM system (Hubspot) to maintain accurate records and to coordinate all-activity internally
- Responding to initial requests from prospective clients by writing requests for Information (RFIs) which help get the agency onto the pitch list. Able to source and develop content for these.
- Representing the agency at ‘chemistry’ meetings’ either with senior leadership or on their own. At these meetings they are aware that clients want agencies who listen and seek to understand before replying.
- Helping to assign the right pitch team, based on an understanding of the client need
- Preparing reports to review which investments in new business activities are working best and prepared to argue to drop what is not working. They are developing commercial astuteness
- Planning and execution of event opportunities to target prospective clients
- Supporting the agency pitch teams e.g. overseeing the prompt delivery of pitch materials, presentation decks etc.
- Collating information for case studies and award entries, able to draft these for senior team to feedback on
- Keeping the agency credentials and any sales collateral updated in agreement with the senior team
- Reporting monthly to the board and CEO on the pipeline, progress and any requirements
Below is an overview of the experience, skills and knowledge that are required to effectively carry out the duties and responsibilities of the role. These elements will form the basis of selection for the role.
- Minimum of 4-years in an agency environment with a proven track record of new busines wins
- Experience as an account handler (AM, SAM, AD), ideally working in a B2B marketing environment (therefore, with the proven ability to walk the walk with clients and prospects, as well as talk the talk!)
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Excellent communicators in all mediums, persuasive.
- Able to write clear and concise copy with creativity and flair.
- Curious in developing and maintaining current knowledge of the advertising landscape and competitive activity.
- Can present the agency “brand” and its products and services.
- Capable of understanding the agency’s long-term vision and communicating this to others
- Problem solvers, for example able to show a client how an agency service will help them
- Adept at win: win negotiations and long-term relationship building
- Good at asking open questions and listening to the answers
- Excellent at collaboration and motivating others to help them
- Emotionally intelligent – their know and use their strengths, they are aware and control stress triggers, they can empathise with others
- Adept at picking up new concepts and skills rapidly e.g., the latest in media or new technique for proving effectiveness; as well as the ability to proactively research and find out information.
We make the complicated simple.
We develop brilliantly clever, creative, and simple solutions for marketing people working in complex, international businesses. We are recognised as experts in B2B marketing, trusted by some of the largest companies and biggest brands in the world. We aim to become the best B2B agency in the world (pound for pound).
We share a set of values and behaviours which have enabled us to reach this position as a team, and which we aspire to deliver every day:
- We care about our clients, and we care about each other.
- We go the extra mile to make things easier for others – simplifying briefs and proposals, clarifying timings, collaborating, and maintaining an open dialogue.
- We create an environment in which our colleagues will thrive and produce their best work, and through which our clients will instinctively turn to us first for help.
- We have the ability to bend, not break, under pressure, and emerge stronger.
- As we strive to grow, and take on even greater challenges, we will continue to learn how to flex and be agile.
- And we help our clients to be resilient when they themselves are under pressure, supported by clear and simple objectives, strategies, processes and timelines.
- We help and empower each other to achieve much more than we could as individuals.
- We encourage and enjoy open collaboration, feedback, and viewpoints from every perspective – as a team, and in our process of working with clients.
- We take responsibility for making other people’s lives easier, without having to take over.
- We’re confident in our abilities, processes and experience, but we should never be cocky.
- We’re not out to impress clients with how smart we are.
- We will always be ready to ask questions, and to express our considered views and opinions as simply as possible, and we’ll encourage and trust others to do the same.
- It’s essential that we will always maintain a hunger to learn and to share, further building our knowledge and expertise, our methods, and our confidence.
- We keep everything as simple as possible to enable us to work quickly, but we will always build in quality checks, giving ourselves time to get things right.
- We set a clear direction, and take collective personal responsibility for delivering, always taking the strain off our clients wherever we can.
- We aim high, and then do it on the fly.
- We recognise individual contributions, whilst always working as a team with common goals. Mutual respect and trust for each other is fundamental.
- We treat suppliers and partners in exactly the same way.
- And we will always be respectful to our clients, taking time to understand their objectives, their perspectives, and their opinions.